The Mills family received the keys to their new smart home last Wednesday, with a welcome & celebration fit for our American Hero! Special thanks to the Gary Sinise Foundation, the Carrington Charitable Foundation, Tunnel to Towers and many, many more people who made this a reality for the Mills.
Govenor and First Lady LePage played a major role in the ceremony, welcoming the Mills to Maine. Thank you so much for the warm welcome, and for being the first governor in the country to welcome a wounded hero to their new home.
The new smart house is run by an iPad, and it also features an elevator, extra-wide hallways and easy-to-open drawers and cabinets. For the first time in two years, the Mills have a place that is completely accessible for Travis and provides his family with a place to call home.
Travis, Kelsey and Chloe have expressed many times how wonderful it is to have a place to call home. Thank you to each and every one of the supporters, news teams and veterans who have rallied behind SSG Travis Mills, this family and our hero.
Here are the news stories associated with the day’s events:
- Special thanks to WCSH 6, Portland for the story & photos found in this post.
- USA Today featured the Mills’ story on their “Inspiration Nation” segment.
- Fox News reporter Greata Van Susteren interviews Gary Sinise on his work with veterans, and Travis surprises him by calling in to the show! See Greta’s interview here, and see the other side of the camera, where Travis calls in from his car, here.
- WGME CBS 13 News in Portland
- WABI TV 5 Captured this emotional video of the ceremony: